Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Healthy in the New Year

Here we go again. A new year, a new resolution to not end up 2010 and a plus sized woman. I know you guys out there know what I am talking about. Nick and I have been doing pretty good. I have cleaned the dust off of the treadmill downstairs and walking in the morning. I have also started my weight training at the gym and right now sit at a 2 lb loss for my first week. Not too shabby. My goal is 50lbs by August (I am going on vacation to Philly). I have been using myfitnesspal.com. It is an awesome way to track your calories and your daily food intake.

Here is an awesomely delicious, healthy new recipe that Nick and I love!

Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style


Ingredients
Souvlaki Marinade:

3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Tzatziki Sauce
1/2 cup seeded, shredded cucumber
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon Greek seasoning
kosher salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste

4 large pita bread rounds
1 heart of romaine lettuce, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tomato, halved and sliced
1/2 cup kalamata olives
1/2 cup pepperoncini
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Directions
In a small bowl, mix the balsamic vinaigrette, juice from 1/2 lemon, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the chicken, seal, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat an outdoor grill, oven, or what I used, a George Foreman, for high heat.

Toss the shredded cucumber with 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and allow to sit at least 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, rice vinegar, and olive oil. Season with garlic, fresh dill, and Greek seasoning. Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water; stir into sauce. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Remove chicken from marinade and place on prepared grill. Discard remaining marinade. Cook chicken until juices run clear, about 8 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from heat, and allow to sit about 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
Place pita rounds on the grill, and cook for about 2 minutes, until warm, turning frequently to avoid burning. Arrange warmed pita, sliced chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato, olives, and pepperoncini on a serving platter. Serve tzatziki sauce and feta cheese in separate bowls on the side.

2 comments:

Little T on January 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM said...

I had a wonderful turkey chili last night that was so good and simple. I will get you the recipe. It was basically white beans, turkey, green salsa, some chicken broth and seasoning. It was awesome! Good for you to have a goal:-)

ilikebeerandbabies.com on January 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM said...

I LOVE chicken souvlaki. It is what I always order at Olympia. I could bathe in tzatziki!

Post a Comment