Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Art + Food= Love

As I am finishing up packing for my trip to Philly to visit my best friend Joanne, I am reminded of how food and art really has effected out friendship.

Eight years ago, Joanne and I packed up my Montero and drove to Baltimore for an art show. We had no idea of what was ahead of us. We got to the show, and within hours everyone knew who Joanne was. Of course a blond haired, blue eyed girl is going to stand out at an African-American art show. I hate to stand at my booth and talk to people about my artwork, so Joanne stepped up.

That evening, after an opening ceremony, we were all a little tipsy. My sister Kim and Joanne staid down at the hotel bar to have one more drink. I was not feeling well so I went to bed. Kim and Joan must have had more than one drink because on the way up to the room, they met two guys in the elevator, and of course they had pizza. Joanne, one of the boldest people I know, asked for a piece of pizza, and Ty was happy to give her a piece. Ty's friend announced that he never kissed a black woman before. Anyone who knows my sister knows that she is always willing to take one fore a team! Ha!

A little bit later that evening, there was a knock at the door, and it was Ty. I was half asleep, but I will never forget how angry with the all of them I was because they kept laughing and giggling in the bed next to me, while my sister was in bed with me with some serious gas. I have had enough and I packed up a pillow and a jacket and slept in the car.

Little did I know that Joanne would marry this man, move to Philadelphia, and have two beautiful children with him. Two drunk and hungry girls + two guys in an elevator= a happy family. Who would have thought it!

1 comments:

Little T on August 6, 2009 at 7:34 AM said...

Just goes to show you...you never know how things are going to work out. Funny how random their meeting was to end up spending their lives together. Have fun visiting. Give Joan a bit kiss for me!

Post a Comment